My ex houseman left me atas chocolates in the ward fridge!
How sweet =)
*****
The episode was very strange.
(setting : a year ago, shortly after post G holocaust, just before post C disaster, when Re-minisce was very, very, very, very, very, very, VERY sad)
My super down-to-earth mother, whose idea of a pretty girl is someone with the figure of a tangerine, whose whole life centers about playing the piano and going to The Club, and who brushes shoulders with celebrities perhaps once every thirty years, creeps up from behind me while I'm messing about listlessly on the Brother's computer and asks, with unconcealed concern, "Would you like to see a vet?"
I reply with all the enthusiasm of a lemur on tranquilizers : "Nooo, thank you, I'm feeling quite all... what?"
Bravely, she soldiers on : "She's not too bad looking... Her mother wants her to meet you!"
My mother's been hacking on persistently with this whole arranged marriage (It's a control issue. I know it is. Choose the Wife. Control the Son.) thingie for ages now.
Years of conditioning have turned my reactions pretty Pavlovian.
"No."
"Her practice is at.... you can drive past a few times and look at her..."
"What?? That's just crazy. That's like stalking."
"It's not. And actually she has a boyfriend."
"WHAT? Then why would I want to meet her!"
"Because her mother doesn't like the boyfriend. He's Ang Moh."
Roll eyes.
"NO. PLEASE LEAVE ME ALONE NOW."
*****
A few days back it was an SMS :
"Surgeon or Opthalmologist?"
It took me a while to figure out what she was going on about.
In a strange way... I almost feel... proud of my mother.
Perhaps I can capitalize on all this. hmm...
Sunday, September 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment