Friday, May 6, 2011

Sorry seems to be the hardest word

Feverish. Been studying for hours and hours and hours now.

Thanks to departmental stupidity I enrolled in a masters which was completely not what the department thought it would be. Thanks to monumental personal stupidity I decided to go-ahead with it. So here I am, on the brink of the great unknown, like a lamb to the... exam tomorrow.

So tired.

It's the eve of the elections.
Regardless of what happens, change looks... possible.

******
Imagine a training incident. A big one. Hypothetical.
A sergeant brutalizes a recruit - hmm where are you sgt Y*** from my NS days, with all your buttstrokes to the helmet during range, and all your vicious CCBs? -- and something bad happens, say the recruit loses his balance and falls back into the foxhole, cracks his skull on the concrete edge and gets a brain bleed and becomes brain damaged.

The CO, a BG issues an apology to the parents and public.

Well, I don't think that's right.

Ultimately yes, some of the responsibility must be assigned to the CO, and the CO learns from it - after he Fixes the problem. If he doesn't Fix the problem, then there is Another problem, and that's a whole different kettle of fish.

This is how a hierarchy works.

The CO doesn't apologize.
The sergeant does.
And at the back of his mind, he feels guilt, and fear of losing his rank and pay.

I don't want to see the CO apologize, and the sergeant not. I don't want to see the sergeant mitigate or vindicate himself. I don't need to see the sergeant punished.
But I would like to hear an apology.

No comments: