Everyone's saying it. Change, you can feel it. Change is around the corner.
You know what my greatest problem is with this elections?
We have gone from being politically apathetic to politically angry.
We - read the youth, the sub thirty-fives, and the not-so-youths, the greater than thirty fives.
We the people, one people, one nation...
We haven't gone from politically apathetic to politically aware; we've gone from politically apathetic to politically stupid.
I'm as much a fan of the underdog as everyone else; I have the same grouses as everyone else.
But I want to listen, and hear the words. I don't want to hear what I want to hear - I want to understand what the speakers are saying.
Loud, amazonian words that echo with resounding conviction sound very nice. They look nice too, like a scene from Braveheart. But if all that comes out is "we need an opposition, we need checks and balances so the government cannot run rampant over us" - Over, and over. and over again.
Well, that's not helping is it? Re-stating the perceived problem over and over again doesn't make you a leader in my eyes. It makes you repetitive. It makes your fiery words nothing more than propaganda, of a different form.
The office analogy.
I can see that the photocopier is on the fritz, and the coffee machine is bust.
If I keep saying it loudly enough, does that mean I get to be manager?
If I accuse the manager of slacking off enough, does that mean I can do his job?
Obviously not.
If I want CHANGE, I have to:
a) call a repairman in, get everything fixed up and pay for it out of my pocket - basically do his job, myself, because I am interested in the job getting done and fixing the problem. I can do his job, but I really just want the job done.
or
b) speak to HIS boss, tell him how he is slacking off, and propose a solution: I can call this repairman, this is the number, I've gotten quotes, this is the cheapest, I want reimbursement..... - basically offer to do his job so that someone will see I am better than he is, and give me his job. I can do his job, and I want his job.
If all I do is make the whole office aware of a problem that they're already aware of, does that make me managerial material?
Hopes are running high as the herds work themselves up, listening to inspirational drivel.
I'm feeling a little disappointed.
Sunday, May 1, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I think it's more the point of having opposition voices in parliament balance out the incumbent majority, than actually overthrowing the current with votes.
That said, I do agree with the losing sense of reason in that which is mob mentality, for or against the current ruling party.
There are still a few voices appealing to the balance of reason, but yes the vast majority are just calling out for blood and their own self-interests.
Then again, I guess that is the point of a democracy - discuss all issues instead of making a policy to pander to just one sector of society...
Post a Comment