Until recently, I thought life was about making memories.
The memories I wish to carry with me are the good ones; I suppose this is termed having a selective memory.
I remember us at Chatuchak market; wandering through the puppies and the kittens, and being disturbed by the frightened squirrels; I remember eating in the little shop; but strangely the most vivid memory in my mind was of you sharing a green mango with me by the roadside; I suppose it embodied the best moments of you, and of us, in our relationship. You, sharing things with me, showing me things I didn't know, and taking joy from watching me, wide eyed in my sua-ku ness, enjoying things that gave you pleasure too.
I remember us in korea too, slipping on the ice as we walked late at night through the "snow", sharing moments of wonder with each other. And Coimbra, too, holding hands and walking slightly unsteadily uphill in the heat of the mid day sun after a refreshing roadside beer, and chancing upon a cat curled up on the wheel of an automobile, and laughing.
If I think back, I remember the others before as well; that's just the way it goes. We all have pasts, each and every one of us, and I want to take the best moments with me; I want for things to have meant something, because if I fixate on the worst moments all I'll feel is a lingering pain and sadness. I don't want to want to forget my memories, or to have to hide from other people.
I remember holding G close at the niagra falls, almost enveloping her with my jacket as the fine spray hit us from all around, as we shared the wonder of the lady in the mist, and the power of the niagra falls. I remember wandering along the top of it with her, and marvelling at the rainbow that hangs there, permanently, like some strange three D hologram.
And if I want to, I'll remember more -
- but something is different now; watching the assassin's eyes watching mine as we cup each others eyes with our hands, without need for words; sharing a moment of... almost childlike silliness...
life isn't about making memories anymore.
It's just about living the moment. And feeling happy when someone you care about smiles; even feeling happy, and just smiling of my own accord.
Sunday, December 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It is about both. It is about a balance between remembering the good things AND cherishing the present.
AND one doesn't force oneself to forget the bad, because life isn't about running away from the bad things that made/make you sad but rather accepting that they had happened, and learning from them, for how can one move forward and be happy if one still carries the pain from bad memories?
-LL
Post a Comment